Saturday 30 January 2010

catching up




A view from the 18th fairway towards the final hole.





A view of another one of the 18 lush fairways between patches of desert at the Doha Golf Club.




I won't lie - it's been a bit of a week. And I did find it a challenge to switch gears from 'mama to a sweet but sick little girl' to 'artist' after 4 nights of broken sleep.

I was able to pop into the studio to continue work on the tentatively titled, "autumn". But the biggest treat was sneaking off to watch a bit of the European PGA Masters tournament at the Doha Golf Club.



I have a very basic understanding of the ecological impact of forcing a world-class championship golf course to exist in the desert. But it is absolutely gorgeous.

Visiting the course as a spectator (rather than a frustrated golfer ;p), I was able to enjoy the periphery and see what lovely things grew outside the manicured edges.

Here are some photos to be filed under 'possible future inspiration'.



The water hazards are quite beautiful set against the bright greens. But I found these strange crystallized clumps with stains of blue dye growing along the edges of the ponds most fascinating. (Blue dyed water looks better on tv, I think? And someone told me that it sorts out what organisms are welcome there.)




I don't know what plant this is, but its shape is so interesting! I do remember that my friend Basma did a painting of this while she still lived here.



Again, I don't know what this plant is called, but it is so delicate and beautiful. And in spite of those qualities, it thrives in this climate!


Some of the locals that live on the 18th hole.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails