Friday 28 May 2010

Duality - Day 1: Sakura

It is officially Day 1 of Duality at Yama Yoga Studios after the opening last night here in Doha. Thank you to everyone who attended! It's not often that there are so many things going on in town at the same time. So thank you for choosing to spend time with me and my paintings.

Sakura
- mixed media & acrylic on canvas, 30"x24", 2010

This piece is another ode to Vancouver. I do miss the sight of tree-lined streets and avenues covered in delicate cherry blossom petals like light pink blankets of snow. This painting evolved out of that memory.

Sakura - photo of underlayer

At first, I began with a very loosely drawn branch and leaf shapes - thinking that it would simply become an underlayer in the later stages. And still in the mind-set that I was but in that beginning phase where I normally enjoy the "building-up" process, I continued to loosely paint in the branches.

Sakura - detail photo of
abstracted cherry blossoms

Sakura - detail photo of bird

But when I progressed to the free-form, abstracted blossoms, this was when I was reminded of spring-time at home.

I then decided to include an image transfer of a bird drawing because I wanted to somehow visually represent and express the fact that I was simply there in spirit.Align Center
Sakura is on display at Yoga Studios from May 27th to June 6th, 2010. For more details on timings and directions, please click here.


Sakura - mixed media & acrylic on canvas, 30"x24", 2010

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails