Sunday 30 May 2010

Day 3 of Duality: Camel Nose Abstract

What a day! Spent another lovely morning painting away at Yama Yoga Studios. And I thought I'd get to my daily painting description on my 4-8pm shift. But alas, my little girl threw up during suppertime back at home, and had a bit of a fever. I rushed home as quickly as I could.

Luckily, my wonderful husband had everything under control by the time I got there. But my sincerest apologies to the Astanga Yoga group who I was looking forward to speaking with after class. I hope we meet again.

So, here is yesterday's entry in the series of photo essays that highlight work on display.

Camel Nose Abstract: acrylic on linen, 50 cm x 100 cm, 2010

Camel Nose Abstract: underlayer

This particular piece underwent quite a few reincarnations during its process. I had initially started filling in an underlayer when I soon lost interest in that particular pose and composition.

I tried a few different ideas, all the while building up the background.

Camel Nose Abstract:
underlayer 1 of snout

I was really enjoying the challenge of trying to take the "too-often-romanticized camel" out of those clichéd "sweeping desert settings" that one can find in a lot of paintings sold to tourists out here. So, this particular shape soon emerged on the canvas.

Camel Nose Abstract:
underlayer 2 of snout

I worked with many different layers to imply ropes and tassels around the face, as I built up the shapes and counters of the camel's nose.

Camel Nose Abstract:
underlayer 3 of snout
And here it is:

Camel Nose Abstract: acrylic on linen, 50cm x 100cm, 2010

Camel Nose Abstract is part of the Duality exhibition at Yama Yoga Studios from May 27th to June 6th, 2010. For more details on timings and directions, please click here.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Your work is fantastic! I love the colors and perspectives...the more you look at them, the more you see! I would love to see more of it in Doha...are you still here? What are your latest updates?

Related Posts with Thumbnails